Thursday 25 December 2008

Merry Christmas one and all!



And so this is Christmas, and what have we done?

Well, I've had my hair chopped off. I decided that I was fed up of spending part of every day styling ... so now have a wash-and-wear cut, for the first time in some years. The only picture I have for you was taken on my new phone, so the quality is not what we're used to (apologies but I do not like having my picture taken, so it is surprising there is anything, in truth). Most of my friends have said nothing about the crop, so I suspect it looks more severe than in my imagination! Hey ho.

My girls both received new tops to wear today. So here we have Millie in her "Winter Walkies" t-shirt and Annie in her Wrangler. My suspicion is that Annie likes her shirt rather more than Millie enjoyed modelling this! I know I could have fixed the "terrier eye" in this pic, but I feel it captures her mood! We told her that modelling your new clothes on Christmas Day is just a tradition she needed to experience.

As you can see, Annie is wearing a crown in this second shot. That's her paper hat, from the crackers we had at Christmas Lunch. Crackers are another tradition over here, they are a bit like a mini-pinata, in the sense that they get pulled open and contain goodies. They also contain a small amount of explosive (enough to make a "crack") so we never dare bring any over for you (P Babe).


Lunch was us three, plus my Mum. We ate: chicken; stuffing (aka dressing); bread sauce (hmmm, not sure what that translates to); cocktail sausages (small links); bacon rolls (crispy); gravy (which is always brown here); roast potatoes (do you have those?); roast sweet potato; bean casserole (you know that one!); carrots, brussels sprouts (?) and cranberry sauce. We also consumed two bottles of wine and some Christmas pudding and brandy sauce!

So then a rest was called for.
Clearly.


Some time later I walked back home with my Mum and Millie came along too. Then Millie and I headed over the road to our local park (simply known as "the field") and went for a run about (no, you're right, I walked). On the way though we saw a heron land on the roof of one of our neighbour's houses and eat whatever it had recently caught. And it stayed still long enough for another rather shaky effort with the new phone.

What a day!
We all hope your day has also been lovely and we're off to sleep some of this food off now, in front of the tv! Much love.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, no crackers for the P Babe. You know my little dogs absolutely hate their sweaters especially litte B. She suddenly becomes paralyzed when dressed in the warm wear. It's pretty funny. Highs in the low 20's today hear in Michigan with quite a bit of snow on the ground. Last night was our traditional trip to Joy Fong for Christmas Eve dinner with Dad and Dillon (it was me, L, T, Jack, Dad and Dillon) We had a nice time. We have yet to have dinner today. We are having ham, sweet buttered squash, green bean casserole (you know the one), deviled eggs, and pecan squares for dessert. Love you both and Millie too. P Babe

Anonymous said...

By the way, love your hair and Leons says it's very becoming. I forgot to say that in my last post.

The Pack said...

Oh you are so kind! And you've registered!! So exciting :-)

(((((Penny and Leons))))) Thank you for being sweet about my hairdo too.

Your meal sounds excellent. Our ham is on the way ...

cod said...

YAY! New posts!!

Kate, I LOVE the haircut! I just went the opposite way.....going from very short to longer again. I just wanted a change, but short hair rocks!

Your girls look cute in their new shirts!

Is bread sauce like our bread pudding?? Ask Annie.

The Pack said...

My girls are something hey :-)

Bread pudding (she's downstairs making south beach black bean soup, so I won't start yelling) is a dessert (I'm fairly confident, somewhat akin to our "bread and butter pudding"). Bread sauce, on the other hand is a savoury sauce to go on top of your chicken or turkey. It's onion and milk, with breadcrumbs and flavourings (notably nutmeg and pepper). I don't know that you have a direct equivalent?

K xxx.

cod said...

Oh...well it sounds GOOD!