Wednesday 31 December 2008

Wythenshawe and New Year

Today's mystery item!



We went out for another walk in Wythenshawe the other day and BOY was it cold! This here is a puddle, well should be a puddle, but as you can hopefully tell, was all iced up. Not the sort of thing we usually have in the middle of the day here!



As you can tell already, I had remembered to take my camera and I had decided to take some pictures of the old hall at Wythenshawe for the blog and of the statue of Oliver Cromwell which is nearby. This hall was beseiged by the roundheads during the civil war and the seige was successful when the republicans brought a cannon from another town. That was sufficient to make royalist Robert Tatton decide to surrender.


However his family did get the hall back a few years later (it appears palms were greased!) and in fact it is said to be unlikely that Cromwell himself ever came up to Wythenshawe. Nevertheless, there he stands. Except that this week he is hidden by scaffolding! LOL Typical luck. So the mystery shot at the top was all I could manage to see of General Ironsides. Ho hum, ... another day.


However, the hall was looking beautiful and I did manage to take two rather sporting models along with me to pretty up the picture.



After Wythenshawe we went to Mickey D's for some lunch and this is Millie waiting for the arrival of her burger. Awww .....


So, now my music show is on, which means there's less than 1 hour of 2008 left here. So I simply need to say .... Happy New Year!




4 comments:

cod said...

Beautiful shots Kate!! I'm learning a lot of English history here in Lemon Cheesecake.

I don't like my v word: impig

cod said...

Oh...is your mystery photo a horsey nose?

The Pack said...

LOL It's Cromwell's hand, inside that scaffolding - at least I *think* that's his hand ... but that discussion's on your blog, right? !!!

My word is wicked, it's "nithing" lol.

Thanks for visiting my dear :-)

cod said...

Ah. Hmmm. Okay not a horse. ;¬)