Saturday 13 June 2009

Scarecrow

OK, so a while ago now a little lass was on Easter holidays (that's Spring Break, folks) and she made her Grandpa a scarecrow for his allotment. As you can see above, the scarecrow is beautiful. The face is PINK and the eyers are BLUE. Very good work indeed.

Here's what the broad beans look like now and we'll get back to them shortly. Meanwhile though, to get back to the story, sometime after the scarecrow arrived we were up there at the plot with a lady from "Park House", the voluntary group which actually owns our allotments and she saw the scarecrow. She decided that we had to have one too and went back and talked some other women into getting involved. So now, we have .....


Bigfoot! Hey, he's subtle isn't he! No birds are going to bother our crops! I love his face too. I don't know if you can tell but he has a little facial hair, so is definitely a chap.
Though quite where he got those feet from .... The coat is cut and then painted with black splodges to represent age and dirt. Not that he'll need those long if he's living at the plot - lol.
When you touch him the paint splodges transfer nicely to skin, so I'm leaving him be, now he's in place! His banner is a "Just Married" one that has been adapted to say "Just P H". The allotments have all sorts of environmental awards and best plot and so on, but I think they're going to need a best scarecrow competition at this rate!
Meanwhile we are getting into the exciting part of the year where there are going to be actual crops. For now, the broad beans are starting to produce and I iamgine we'll ahve a few to eat pretty soon.
But probably best of all, now that the big push to get the marking done is all over, I have finally had time to get rid of some of the most massive weeds and I've excavated ...

The missing turnips! Only a few are ready to eat as yet, but this was the first one I pulled up and goodness, was I a happy lass!

Tomorrow I'm off to fight the weeds some more (weather permitting) so I'll hope to take some more snaps too. Much love, K xxx.

5 comments:

Lou said...

Haha! What a terrific scarecrow!! Your plantings are coming along so well. I love seeing all this.

The Pack said...

Glad you like him (((((Lou))))) and thank you for visiting :-)

cod said...

Wow! That scarecrow is impressive. Keep your hands off the poor guy Kate!! ;¬)

Your veggies are was more developed than mine, but I truly understand your excitement. I'm loving gardening.

Thanks (((Kate)))

P Babe said...

My guy Leons is puting in a garden, a raised one. It is quite the project as you can imagine. He's been working so hard at it too. I'll take some pictures one of these days. We need to get those plants in the ground. We've been hauling years old manure (homegrown I might add) that has turned into lovely black soil-like substance. Plants should love it.

The Pack said...

Glad you like Bigfoot Connie :-) His creator came to the plot with Annie and I again today and we did some weeding and then picked her a few berries to take home. It is fabulous how much everything has come on.

Your plants will get a great start with that to grow in Penny! What're you going to plant hon?

K xxx.