Monday 30 March 2009

Plot update - a crime scene uncovered

We went up to the plot this weekend, for a last look before flying tomorrow morning. To our horror, we discovered bean theft! Not, I hasten to clarify, our original tp beans, which we all know and love. They are growing nicely.

However, I had planted them amidst a row of beans sown directly into the soil. On the advice of our plot neighbour, I then covered the tp beans with netting, to keep the birds at bay. Under the netting, the other beans are now germinating.
However, it appears that I was not careful enough. I had not covered the whole row properly and there are some pretty little holes, at the no-net end of the row, presumably where beans had germinated.

I wish I knew how to fiddle with this picture to put crime scene marks on! However, you may or may not be able to tell that there are 3 holes, just below the line of the string. Now the obvious culprits are the birds. However, Manda has an alternative theory, involving mice. Suffice it to say, someone else has had all the goodness from newly sprouted beans, but not us.
Learning from experience, however slowly, we have now covered the next plantings PROPERLY.
This contraption covers some spring cabbage and brocolli plants, put in yesterday. We're hoping they will still be there, after we return.

During this planting session, some of Colin's hard work was undone by some Mancunian lass with big feet stomping all over the beautifully dug earth. Manda, ever the dutiful partner, quickly grabbed a fork to make good the damage. Colin looked over, surprised and asked what was going on. Then we all realised that Manda had not had her picture on the blog - so here she is, hard at work!Notice Colin conversing with Millie, in the background.

She's probably asking him for treat, since both Colin and Manda are pretty generous to MsMillie!

Right now my lovelies, that's me blogged out for a while, so keep the place cosy for me, whilst we pop over the pond.

K xxx.

5 comments:

cod said...

If indeed your thieves are mice.........NOTHING will keep them out. I have experience. ;¬)

Love the pics, Kate.

Safe travels!!!!!

The Pack said...

Thank you :-)

Here we are, safely in Mi, taking pictures and enjoying the sunshine. However, they threaten snow for next week - darnit! The puter here is sufficiently slow to discourage me from much posting ... so, suffice it to say, we're fine and I'll do more when we're beck in Blighty, in a week or so.

K xxx.

Penny Sundman aka P Babe said...

Well your visit would not be complete without some snow I think. I loved having dinner with you two the other night at Food Dance even though I was a might under the weather. I'm feeling much better now although I sure like being off work. Your little Millie is a lucky little dog. She has owners that worship her as every dog should. Luck with the garden. I've noticed our cardinal is back sitting on the newly built nest so it will soon be time to defend the babies from dogs 3. Here we go again. Stupid bird.

The Pack said...

OK That got me moving again :-) (Mind, I really can't get Facebook to load!). P Babe - so glad you're feeling better. We're looking forward to the Mi Ranchito date too.

News from the plot is good. Manda texted today to say that she has transplanted some beans so that they are UNDER the netting and everything else is doing ok.

As you say, Penny, a little snow is common at this time of year, though I see nothing has fallen yet, so that's ok with me!

Tomorrow is labs for A and then we go to see Rob B.

Love to all,

K xxx.

P Babe said...

Bad news from my house. I couldn't sleep so got up at 4 A.M. I wasn't up 10 minutes when a huge maple limb (I mean huge) fell on my house/garage. It's dark so can't tell how much damage there is to my house yet. It made a horrible sound when it hit too. It scared me silly. Now I'm sitting here stewing over what the damages are. The snow was too heavy/wet I guess. Oh and a bird update. Sammi already got the nest out of the bush so I've thrown netting over the stupid bush to keep the bird out of there. No more nests. Now I'm wondering if the bush is in danger because of snow weight on the netting. If it's not one thing it's another.