Saturday 14 June 2008

Middlewich Boat and Folk




http://midfest.org.uk/mfab/


Yesterday we headed deeper into Cheshire to a folk festival. I was a little disappointed, to be honest, as I had hoped that Annie could encounter some true folkies (deliniated in my narrow mind simply by their habit of wearing a beer tankard at the belt), and I'm not sure this happened. However, we still had a wonderful trip.




First of all we took in the boats part of the affair. The boats in question sit on a the Trent and Mersey canal and are largely there as pleasure boats now, but this was once an important thoroughfare for trade. Anyway, the self-same trade barges were bedecked in flowers and even in cheshire cats for the festival.


Then we took a turn around the main festival site and heard a band do sound-check (you'll have to take it on faith that this is interesting to some of us) and then it was time for fish'n'chips, back by the canal.







So so so .... good!

Now the highlight of this evening was to see and, I suppose, truly to hear my lovely folk singer heroine, June Tabor. WHAT a voice! But sadly, June doesn't like photos to be taken. So here we end this entry, with my assurance to you that if you ever get the chance to hear June you should. And with this final pic of the church of St Micheal and all Angels, Middlewich, just before June came on. (!!)








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, I can post!

I love seeing these photos!

I went to the oyster festival in Whitstable one summer, and the best fish and chips I ever had was near Felixstowe. There is nothing in all the world like English fish and chips.

The Pack said...

Yeah, I had no clue about that posting issue, lou - thank you for the head's up.

I've not been to Whitstable but that's a very traditional festival and industry, down there. I imagine that would be good fun. And yes, F & C in the out of doors - just fab!

K xxx.

cod said...

Love the pics Kate! Those boats have always fascinated me.

Sound checks really do not though. ;¬)

Sounds like a fun day to me! (((K&A)))