Sunday 11 January 2009

Bread and Butter Pudding


A little while ago I was asked whether British bread sauce is the same as American Bread Pudding. In truth I think that Bread and Butter Pudding (in Blighty) is pretty similar to the US Bread Pudding and just a while after I was asked that question my Mum arrived with a photocopied recipe for a very different version of B&B Pud. So, here is our attempt at Jamie Oliver's Baileys and Banana Bread and Butter pudding. Full recipe available here: http://www.crookandchase.com/Recipes/Celebrity-Kitchen/BAILEY-S-BREAD-AND-BUTTER-PUDDING.aspx


Our verdict - that this was a lot more complex to make than the old bread pud we remember! Also, we weren't sure the almonds worked terribly well and may well go back to the more traditional raisins next time. But yes oh yes, to the Baileys - a fine addition!


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bananas and almonds seem an unusual ingredient for bread pudding, but your bowl full of golden baked bread pudding is magnificent to behold.

Oh, wait. You said you want a new camera. Hmmm, Kate? Perhaps a quality lens will give you a sharper photo? ;-)

The Pack said...

ROFL!! See, you rock!

We went to a party on Saturday night with our friends who are pro photographers and they told me what I *need*. They seem to think $3,500 should do it .... HOW much? lol Can't see that happening so fast ;-)

Much love,

K xxx.

cod said...

OMG....bananas AND Bailey's?? That looks fabulous.

My mother made bread pudding that was custardy and light and delicious. Tom's mother made a bread pudding that was compact and loaf like and she made a "hard sauce" of powdered sugar, butter, and I'm not sure what else. She would slice the pudding and top it with a slice of the hard sauce. Tom and I argued which was REALLY bread pudding.

I soon realized that Toms mother continued to make things from her depression cookbook when eggs and milk were rare and expensive. 8¬/

Once, early in our marriage, he begged me to make his mother's bread pudding and hard sauce. I did it, reluctantly, and when I made the hard sauce, I formed it into a shape......you know.....like Patrick's cookie. ;¬}

v word: playe

The Pack said...

LOl Connie those family things are SO interesting. Different traditions and where they take us ... my Dad had a thing about a desert called "Jam Roly Poly" that he said his mother made, but nothing my mother ever produced was deemed to be anywhere near those memories! lol

Annie talks about "hard sauce" too, which her Mom used to make, but she thinks the "hard" part is to do with having alcohol in, rather than having a solid texture.

You will know that I adore your delicate handling of the cookie reference ;¬} ... one day I'll actually learn some of these clever emoticons.


Much love,

K xxx.

cod said...

Aha......I guess my definition of hard sauce was "*different*.

;¬}

But guess what my v word is!

pholog

I think that means you SHOULD get a new camera for your blog!!

The Pack said...

ROFL *Must* do!

The Pack said...

Do you know that Paul Simon song about the "Nikon camera ..." la la la ? Looking faintly promising ;-)

K xxx.

cod said...

I'm feelin' it, Kate!

my v word is: gonikon

(okay not really)

The Pack said...

ROFL Love that!

Birthday next month y'see ;-)

K xxx.

cod said...

Aha..........now I know what to get you!! ;¬)