Thursday 26 February 2009

Allotment

"Allotment (gardening) in the United Kingdom, a small area of land, let out at a nominal yearly rent by local government or independent allotment associations, for individuals to grow their own food." (Wikipedia)


We have begun to take care of some allotment strips this winter, on behalf of the charity that Annie does work for. Fantastically, these strips are located just across the field from our house and so take us under 10 minutes to walk to. My Dad also had an allotment until a few years ago and this was always known as "the plot" and I notice that I have slipped back into using that term.
Our good friends Colin and Manda are also involved and the bulk of the work so far has been digging over the soil, in which Colin has been our local hero. However it has been excellent, now that the weather is slightly less freezing, to wander to the plot and do a bit of digging ourselves.

Millie is now quite used to trotting over in that direction, when we're on a walk around the field, just to see how things are looking. Though we do tie her up when we're working on there as she's otherwise prone to run around like a mad thing, over everyone's veg patch .


Last weekend saw our first planting of the season, some broad beans, so here I am - in action! So, hopefully, there will be more to report on this, as the growing season gets warmer (we hope!)

6 comments:

cod said...

I love this! What a truly wonderful idea. I hope your crops grow well!!

It's not too early to plant?

The Pack said...

A lot of stuff - yes. But these particular beans are supposed to do ok if they go in early. No sign of any above ground yet though!

Thanks my friend :-)

K xxx.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful idea!!

Around here, there are community gardens at the university and at the large retirement community. People can make the most beautiful spaces in which to grow magnificent vegetables.

Also, in strips of land in town that lie under electrical stations or adjacent railroad tracks, an organization called Second Harvest sows and harvests large crops of vegetables that supply local soup kitchens and missions that feed homeless people.

An excellent use of land and humanpower.

The Pack said...

(((Lou))) I have heard about some of these ideas over there -they are excellent. I also saw something on tv about community gardens in Cuba which were pretty impressive.

These are the same idea, but much older and not particularly on ground that is wasted so much as "reserved", for this use.

Our house and the ones around here were built in the 1930s or earlier, so I'm not sure *how* far back the allotments go, but it may have been around then. They run alongside a plot of open ground called "Moor Nook" but simply known as "the field" to many of us. From my window, and in the spaces between the houses opposite, I can see one edge of the field.

I'll take some more pictures when I get a calm day, to give you a sense of the setting.

Mum update - her sister and bro-in-law (my beloved aunt and uncle) have been staying for a couple of days, so I have had something of a break. And she's doing fine, no major changes.

K xxx.

cod said...

It makes me think of doing something with my few neighbors in KY. What we can't use we could donate to the Community Action Center in town. Unfortunately, I don't get home early enough to get it started. Someone else would have to oversee that part.

oh..Sean?

Poor kid, he's got enough to do around there.

The Pack said...

ROFL Yeah, lovely lad has quite a bit on :-)

Still maybe someone will like the idea, you never know.

K xxx.